Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Small Town

I grew up in a very Small Town in New Jersey where there really was only one industry, cranberries. Every year my town throws a cranberry festival around harvest time that EVERYONE goes to. It usually coincides with my birthday so I have a special fondness for it. Walking around there is no lack of cranberry items from cranberry ice cream, bread, wine, apparel, pies, etc. While there this year I picked up 7lbs of cranberries for my freezer and have been itching to use them ever since. Well I was reading A Hippie with a Minivan this morning and to my delite there was a yummie sounding recipe for Cranberrie-Lemon Cake. I have it all whipped up and ready to go into the oven once dinner comes out.

As far as recipes go I've found that one of my biggest tools has been the internet and having so many choices. If I have something I want to build my meal around its so easy to find many different recipes with a quick search. These types of recipes are my favorites though, from people that I read that share their own recipes that their families enjoy.



Here is the recipe exactly as it is on A Hippie with a Minivan's site
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest of one lemon
juice of one lemon
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups cranberries (or less if you don’t like them as tart as I do)

1. Beat together eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla.
2. Mix in Lemon zest and juice
3. Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
4. Fold in cranberries.
5. Pour into 9 x 9 cake pan.
6. Bake@ 350 degrees 40-45 minutes .

No comments: